Wednesday, January 23, 2013

January 23, 2012

I feel like I'm writing the ending to a really good novel, maybe not a New York Times best seller, but an intense chapter book. Here's an update on the latter part of yesterday. We checked out of our hotel room, and were officially discharged from the hospital about 2:00pm, but Matt was so tired and as he put it "lazy" that he couldn't bear the thought of exerting that much energy to get dressed, so he fell back asleep and slept for a bit, this is normal and part of the recovery. His brain still hasn't forgiven him and only days will tell us when it finally decides to do that (apparently, it's on its own time). We made it out of the hospital around 4:00pm, and after buying out the pharmacy of all the meds he needs to take, we were on our way home. It kind of felt like coming home for the first time with a new baby, a big baby, but same feeling (weird, I know). I was nervous for the drive home, decided not to talk at all because he's not into conversations these days, played no music (which made for a really long drive), obeyed the speed limit and even drove a bit slower (this is not me at all), and let my "baby" sleep his way home. The drive was a bit rough for him and tiring (even though he slept all the way) he was in a lot of pain when we arrived in Idaho Falls. As soon as we walked into the house, I got him set up in bed, administered his pain and nausea meds, then he fell fast asleep again.

My sister brought the kids home around 8:00pm, and I took them up to see Matt in our room. My sister and mom showed them pictures of Matt earlier that day so they knew what to expect. Both boys gave him a kiss and hug, said I love you and quietly walked out (I sure missed those kids).

Matt slept until he awoke at 12:30am, thinking it was 2:30am. His mom checked on him and he seemed good. We're always worried when he gets up to use the restroom by himself and secretly watch and wait for him to make sure he's ok. He hates being baby sat, but it comes with the territory of brain surgery. I set my alarm for 1:30am to give him his pain meds again, refill his water, put crackers by his bed, and get him ice cold gatorade. As I'm typing his request, I remember earlier in the day when he felt well enough to sit up and read part of the blog. He responded with,"I sound like a really bad patient.", and my response back was that I was just the journalist and reported what I heard and saw, right of free speech.

So, here I am at 2:35am up and can't sleep, but my "baby" is back fast asleep. I will continue to keep this blog updated with Matt's progress until he is well enough to come visit you all in person. Then it will go back to being just our family blog. We might have a short road (positive side of me) or a long road (negative side of me) to recovery. It is all up to Matt's brain and body. We have to take it day by day and can not rush anything, the outcome of all this looks amazing though. The updates won't be coming as much (like the 3 or 4 a day) but will trickle off to maybe one a day (I'm shooting for heading back to work Thursday), then maybe one every two days. We'll see how the progress goes. So, to those that have been tuning in to the Days of Our Lives featuring the Mikkelson's; we are no longer primetime and have been cut from the line-up. We, again, can not thank you all enough for the love and prayers you all sent us. Whether from Idaho, Utah, California, Florida, Oklahoma, Montana, Wyoming, Arizona, Texas, Colorado, and any other state I missed, we felt your support and know more than ever now how lucky we are to be surrounded by the best group of friends and family. We wouldn't trade you all for a million dollars, even after having brain surgery.


No comments: